02 January 2012

a 2012 day

Dear future Eric:

Merry belated Christmas and Happy New Year! On the second day of 2012, I put my most important lesson of 2011 into action - persistence. I used my day off work today to get things done - all the mendokusai things that I would always put off until later - only to realize that I needed more time to get them done. 

I started off my day cleaning my room - a task that never seems to finish. Yet day I feel rejuvenated because of the amount of space I freed up . It just makes cleansed! Then I quickly went to store and finished my trial contacts and purchased new ones. Two things out of the way.

Then, I decided to go to the dermatologist to finally get some questions answered about this perpetual acne problem that's been lingering since bar prep. I didn't get many answers, but I did manage to meet with the doctor in just 30 min - a request that would not have been granted but for me persistence in scheduling an appointment asap. It was quite bewildering given that there were many people in the lobby waiting for their turn. It helps to be persistent.

When I went to the pharmacy to get my prescription filled, I was flabbergasted by the price. To put some darn cream on my back, it apparently costs $650. Now, to be fair, I was paying out of pocket, but the most I've ever paid for medicine without insurance is $150. I went home disappointed, but then once again, I felt compelled to fix the problem. Now, normally, prior to 2011, I would have paid the total, went home, and bit the bullet. Instead, I went back and eventually lowered it to $200. Once I have my prescription insurance, it will obviously lower even more. Again, it helps to be persistent.

I also went to go get my phone fixed at Verizon, a company not known for its customer service. I've dreaded my visits to that store because they're slow and they usually have reps do not know a thing about cell phones. This time around it was no different. In fact, after i complained about my phone not working well, one of the dudes told me to come back when the problem got worse. So as I was strolling back to the door, I decided not to be victimized by the incessant incompetency of these people. I mean, I didn't get mad, but I just decided that I would pick who I spoke to and bam - the girl ended up being the manager and helping me to get a new phone to arrive tomorrow, all in about 5 min.

Earlier that day, I had also called to pick up two new suits that I bought, and was told to just hold. The dude eventually told me he would call me back because it was busy at that time. He also added that my suits wouldn't be in until a few days later. But by the time I finished all my other errands, he hadn't called. So, on my way back from Verizon, I passed by the JoBanks, but I consciously drove passed it. Again, though, I U-turned and went back. I spoke to the guy, and what do you know - my two suits were there. 

I'm not exactly sure why I wrote this post. I guess it's to show myself that I actually grew some in 2011.

I'm excited for 2012. This past weekend has been one of fulfillment and motivation. I spoke with many of my friends over Skype and I capped off my break with Sensei's HQ meeting. I also received a letter from my friend in Japan, who I had written to a month back. I had written 5 pages, and I got back less than a page. It just made me realize how much others are busy fighting. 

So, onward. This year is when I will change the circumstances of my job karma and once again throw myself into the battlefield, full of vigor and youth.

Sincerely,
Eric Kunimoto

1 comment:

  1. I like all your stories! My goal this year is also to be persistent.

    ReplyDelete